1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

The Lady Chapel

This was built circa 1350. To the right of the Holy Table is a fine ogee arch above twin Piscinae. In the middle ages these shallow stone basins were used for washing the Chalice and Paten after Mass.  The  beautiful  east window, installed in 1900, was inspired by the ancient hymn Te Deum Laudamus—it represents the worship of Almighty God by the Church triumphant in heaven and the Church militant on earth.  Between the Chapel and the High Altar is the Tudor tomb of Sir Anthony Browne and his first wife Alice. Sir Anthony was a favourite of King Henry VIll who granted him the Abbey and its estates in 1539 after the dissolution of the monasteries. The Lady Alice died in 1540, Sir Anthony in 1548. The alabaster tomb was probably made in London by Italian craftsmen and transported by cart to Battle.

Read 6011 times
More in this category: « South Aisle Brasses »

Breakfast Rota

Latest News

Christmas Tree Festival 2017 Info

Alpha Course

A new daytime Alpha course is commencing on Thursday 14th September 2017 at 2pm and an evening...

Christmas Tree Festial 2017

We are once again hosting and running another Christmas Tree Festival at St Mary's over the...

Foodbank Latest Update

We have been particularly grateful this week to those people who donate financially to the Food...

Special Events

Celebrating 140 years at Telham
Sun Nov 05 @10:00AM -
Remembrance Sunday Service
Sun Nov 12 @10:50AM -
Christmas Tree Festival
Sat Nov 25 @10:00AM - 06:00PM
Christmas Tree Festival
Sun Nov 26 @ 1:00PM - 06:00PM
Advent Carol Service
Sun Dec 03 @ 6:00PM -
Lights of Love Service
Sun Dec 10 @ 3:00PM -
Christmas Carol Service @Telham
Sun Dec 17 @10:00AM - 11:00AM
Nativity Service
Sun Dec 17 @11:00AM - 12:00PM