1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

History

The Church of the Ascension (properly named "Chapel of the Ascension") stands on land given in 1875 by Sir Archibald Lamb.  The building was erected at the cost of the then Dean of Battle, Dean Crake. It was given a discretionary licence for use as a place of worship by the Bishop of Chichester in 1877, for the benefit of Battle residents, living at a distance from the Parish Church. 

Upon his death, Dean Crake bequeathed a sum of money towards the maintenance of the Church.  A trust deed was drawn up by the Charity Commission, (Dean Crake's Gift) the trustees of which are the current Dean of Battle and Churchwardens.  Fund raising is ongoing, on behalf of the trust, in order to maintain the Church and Churchyard. 

Church Redecoration

We have recently obtained some quotations for the much needed repair and redecoration to the interior of the Church. A faculty will have to be obtained and this is being applied for. Once we know which quotation is approved we shall have to address the question of finance. Dean Crake's Gift is the Charity which owns the Church and it maintains the fabric. Any shortfall in funds will have to be made up by enthusiastic fundraising!

Read 5463 times
More in this category: « Services

Breakfast Rota

Latest News

Special Christmas Services 2017

Christmas Tree Festival 2017 Info

Alpha Course

A new daytime Alpha course is commencing on Thursday 14th September 2017 at 2pm and an evening...
Read more...

Foodbank Latest Update

We are overwhelmed by the generous Christmas food donations we have received. In fact, we have to...
Read more...

Special Events

17Dec
Christmas Carol Service @Telham
Sun Dec 17 @10:00AM - 11:00AM
17Dec
Nativity Service
Sun Dec 17 @11:00AM - 12:00PM
17Dec
Nine Lessons and Carols
Sun Dec 17 @ 6:00PM -
24Dec
Christingle Service
Sun Dec 24 @ 4:00PM -
24Dec
Midnight Communion
Sun Dec 24 @11:30PM -
25Dec
Family Communion
Mon Dec 25 @10:00AM -
31Dec
Family Communion
Sun Dec 31 @10:00AM -